Friday, March 5, 2010

Spring Fever!!

Well, with the weather the way it has been, I think I am getting spoiled. The sun out and bright every day in a cloudless sky, no wind, and warmer than average temps. *sigh* I hope it sticks around, but this certainly isn't the six more weeks of winter we thought we were getting!!


Either way, all this warm weather has me in Spring Fever...I am having to resist these very strong urges to head outside and start digging up the garden!! I want to plant and weed and be outside again...oh I can't wait for it to warm up!! I guess this is why they call it "Spring Fever"?



I'm in a frenzy thinking about all the tomatoes I'm going to need this summer, and the cucumbers, peppers, lettuce, chives, parsley, cherries, and oh! the blackberries! We always have such amazing blackberries. I'm thinking about trying carrots this year, as well as broccoli. We use every fresh veggie and fruit that we grow in our kitchen at the Inn, and carrots and broccoli mioght be really nice to have. So when you come in and have some of our fresh homemade scones, and we tell you that you can have some of my Nana's fresh blackberry jam with it- DON'T TURN IT DOWN!! Nana makes the best jam, and she comes over every summer and helps us can a whole mess of it, so we can use it here in our kitchen. It always goes way too fast, though, so if you hear me say the blackberries are in, you better head over this way!!

The girls last summer, picking the red raspberries from the garden. They picked 5 buckets!!



I'm also exploring new recipes to use that will incorporate all of our fresh homegrown produce, so be sure to ask if it isn't posted- what's fresh today? Every one of our sandwiches always has our fresh produce on it- tomatoes, cucumbers, or peppers, and if we get some better turn out than last year, onions. We use some of our own lettuce in the salads (though we haven't been able to grow enough to keep up, so we use organics in the area). And our soups, too, have our own veggies in them. It's such a great feeling, knowing that we made that- from seed to soup! Ahh! I'm getting all carried away again!


Since we can't head out of doors for much right now, I think we are going to focus on the indoors. Starting today, we are pulling out the spring decor!! (We even bought some green mints, just to be festive!) Cleaning and redecorating a little should help with the need to bring out change. We'll probably work on the gift shop a little, too, so you might want to check that out next time you come around. Hope to see you soon! It's a beautiful day for a drive- so come on over!

No comments:

Post a Comment